HW: Ridicule? (Distant Horizons)

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Thu Apr 19 20:11:23 EDT 2001

Bill writes:

>> What's the general view of Distant Horizons?  I have avoided it on the
>> basis of comments that it was a techno album (didn't much like IITBOTFTBD)

Not even remotely IMHO.

>What a great excuse to play this album again....
>Distant Horizons, IMO isn't a techno album. But the songs Distant Horizons
>and Phetamine Street may be classified as such.

Phetamine Street techno?  Not hardly.  OK, maybe the way Chadwick plays the
drum parts (much as he did on It's the Biz...) is sorta techno-ish in a
choppy pseudo-electronic-beat-sorta-way, but I'd argue Phet. St. is more
punk rock than anything.  So ya wanna call it punkno?  No?  Well, neither do
I.  :)

The Hawkwind '97 version is much more interesting than the DH version IMHO.
I hated the song the first time I heard it (I rather like it now), but I
think that's just because it sounds so poorly 'produced' on the DH version.
And supposedly, all of DH is basically demo versions of the tracks that were
to be re-recorded, but EBS jumped the gun and released it before the band
was finished with it.  Hence its peculiar non-uniform sound and style.

Grakkl (FAA)