HW: irc channel

Arin Komins akomins at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Thu Apr 26 11:39:15 EDT 2001

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, Nick Medford wrote:

:Subject: HW: irc channel
:
:I drop into the IRC channel every now and then, but there's rarely anyone
:there (hello Arin, Colm and Alissa, the occasional exceptions). But I'm a
:bit mystified by something- wonder if Rik or anyone else can explain:
:
:Sometimes when joining the channel there's a message that says "Welcome
:To Mission Control- Operated by Chanserv", or words to that effect. And
:sometimes there isn't. Now, I know very little about IRC, but my impression
:is that the channel may not be working properly when this message isn't
:displayed. Is this right? or doesn't it matter?

I'm not an expert on dal.net stuff, but I'd imagine that you are logging
in during a netsplit, and temporarily chanserv isn't "owning" the channel
(due to an inability to talk to the rest of the dal.net network.)

Netsplits are less common than they used to be (without, say, additional
outside assistance ;-) ) so it shouldn't happen that frequently.

Arin
(who needs to get herself onto the chat more often :-( )
Arin Komins                                   akomins at uchicago.edu
Web Systems Administrator
University of Chicago/NSIT                      tel: (773)834-4087
1155 E. 60th St. #302B Chicago, IL 60637        fax: (773)702-0559