HW:re spacebrock comments

Mark Von Bargen mark.von-bargen at GENIE.CO.UK
Fri Apr 27 03:21:41 EDT 2001

Hi,

Not said anything for a little while, work is too busy to let me write much
but here goes.

I think that everybody needs to put things in context when talking about
the future of this great group and recent and current releases.

A couple of points are that personal finances have stopped me buying many
of the recent releases and getting to any shows since the '97 UK tour. This
disappoints me at a personal level but hey I still got my life and years of
previously collected material to keep me going.

You have got to remember that Dave & Co have kept this band going for many
years now without a major record deal top back them up. There are also many
other things going on in the background (that I for one don't know enough
to comment about, others will know more than me) that only add to the
pressure.

Be thankful that there is still creativity there after more than 30 years.
Appreciate the fact that so many care and some of those people are in a
position to do something positive.

I think that the current line up has tremendous potential (especially with
the help of some excellent guests). People
like Ron, Jerry and Richard have contributed greatly in recent years and it
sounds like they still have so much more to offer. They should not be
dissed in comparison to any individual's favourite previous bassist,
drummer, guitarist, vocalist or whatever.

People have been in this band and contributed over the years. We should
thank them and respect them for their efforts. Times and moods change as
the years go by. Just look at the way technology moves forward but the
musical landscape changes. When was the last time that you saw Hawkwind
mentioned in a large circulation publication. Just to keep this band going
these days is a great achievement. I thank Dave and everybody else involved
in doing so.

Peace, love and respect to everybody out there who reads this. Hope to see
some of you when I next get the chance to get along to a show.

Mark