HW:Spacebrock plus

Sara Zaza prabbit at GOWEBWAY.COM
Sun Apr 29 10:47:18 EDT 2001

Just a comment or two...
> >I just recently got the Spacebrock CD and was very disappointed. I think
> >whoever made the decision to call it a Hawkwind CD was misleading a lot
of
> >people.

Gotta agree with this.

>  For sure the worst thing
> >Dave has ever put out.

This is a bit harsh, but I agree it is disjointed...then again I only have
the mispress, I need to get the proper release...I like it a fair amount
actually but don't consider it to be a HW release, more like if Mr. Brock
sent me a cd of material he was working on for a solo lp/cd, I would expect
it to sound like Spacebrock.

> >I really see the end of Hawkwind...... now......sure they will play some
> >great gigs but the last real HW cd was in 1994 with ALien 4....Distant
> >Horizons was just several disjointed musical pieces slung together for
the
> >masses... Don't you think..

Don't despair mate, I think there will be good things in the future.  The
current lineup is a pretty great one and this is a band that has had more
twists and turns than any other and things still work out.
Regarding Distant Horizons, I was told by 3 different band members on
separate occasions that the lp was rushed out before it was ready by
ta-daa.....Doug Smith.  The (crap) artwork was unauthorized as well.  I like
it quite a bit (esp Phetamine, Reptoid, Clouded Vision) but it does sound
unfinished in places and the cd does not "flow" and lacks cohesion.  I
really liked In Your Area but can recognize it as being another (well-done
this time tho...) cobbling together of things.

Doug Bates opined: (regarding Chronicles)
>>For me this was their Spinal Tap period, cheesy 80's metal without the
big hair, a bad dream indeed.

Also pretty harsh, but pretty accurate I'm afraid.  A few good songs here &
there but this was a bleak bleak time for HW (imho), what happened to the
anarchic spirit? Inspiration replaced by stagnation and a shockingly
conformist sound by the least conformist band ever.  Not meaning to
offend/annoy fans of this time period, as we all have our preferences, this
just wasn't my favorite time period.

John Stanton