OFF: Guided By Voices

Brian Halligan blackblade at BHALLIGAN.COM
Mon Apr 30 11:42:18 EDT 2001

Theo, did you go to the GBV show at Armory High? I was way up toward the
front, so I didn't get to see most of the crowd. Fun show! I heard all of my
favorite GBV songs except "Echoes Myron" and it was nice to see them playing
so much of the new album. Well, I guess since it's #1 in the college radio
charts, that's not a surprise. Either was the fact that it was such a young
crowd. Closing with Baba O'Riley was cool too--I was actually wearing my Who
t-shirt. The only drawbacks I saw were that Robert Pollard was trying too
hard to be Roger Daltry, not just during the Who cover, and one of the
guitarists was trying too hard to pose like Mick Jagger. ;-)

Brian

P.S. It was also the first show I've ever seen where the headliner was
introduced by a guy (the owner of the club?) reading two original poems he'd
written for them. Very classy, even with the outrageous reverb they put on
his voice. ;-)

Brian

--
Vincent Price Talking Lawnmower