BOC/SFG: Stalk forrest update

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Mon Apr 30 15:46:29 EDT 2001

On Mon, 30 Apr 2001, Ted Jackson wrote:

=> its era.  Most impressive?  Naturally, I'd like to think it's BD's guitar
=> playing, but the real star of this show is Albert.  He's absolutely
=> huge on this stuff, blowing away any one else playing at the time.
=> He's sooo inventive, and his approach to drumming is so unique,
=> giving a sure glimpse into the stuff he'd tear up with BOC.

Seconded!  Albert is amazing on this album.  His fluidity lends an
incredible drive and energy to the tracks.

There are some mind-blowing jams on this disc.  "Ragamuffin
Dumplin'" and "St. Cecilia" grabbed my attention straight away.  The
latter is particularly spacey as it gets into the eastern-tinged jam
that makes up the bulk of the track.  Although Buck's tone is certainly
different, I think it fits in really well with the material overall.

The lyrics are out there!  "A Fact About Sneakers" struck me as
particularly bizarre.

This is primo psychedelia, and it's a crying shame it took so long to
see the light of day.  But, it's worth the wait.

=> Everybody get this one today.  You won't be disappointed...

Agreed!  (And I still have the last two tracks to hear, yet!)

Cheers,

Paul.

NP: Still can't guess? :-)

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu