OFF: Now: Denny Gerrard - Was: High Tide

Johan Edlundh joe.e at TELIA.COM
Fri Aug 3 07:05:40 EDT 2001

>>...Finally there is 'Ancient Gates' - apparently a collaboration with
>>an Indian vocalist, Sushi Krishnamurthi...
>
>... which reminds me: at around the time they recorded 'Sea Shanties'
>and 'High Tide' (and, for that matter, 'Precious Cargo'), all four members
>of the band recorded an album (for a different label - Deram, I think?)
>backing someone named Denny Gerrard.  Anyone have a copy?  Anyone know
>*anything* about this release?  Never seen either an original or reissue,
>myself ...
>
>    -Doug
>     jasret at mindspring.com

sorry for slow reply,
but there is summer even far north...

I've got this one.
It's on DERAM (SDN 10), recorded may/june 1969, published 1970.

Tracks:
A: Native Sun, True Believer, Hole in My Shadow, Last But One
B: Rough Stuff, Stop or Drop It, Autumn Blewn, Eye for Eye, Atmosphere

Musicians:
Denny Gerrard: acoustic guitar, mouth harp, vocals
Tony Hill: electric guitar
Simon House: organ & violin
Pete Pavli: bass
Roger Hadden: drums
J J Mackey: words, reading on Atmosphere
Lyn Husband & Sue Young: backing vocals

I don't know Denny G, but I'm assuming this is more Denny Gerrard than High
Tide. Quite good though, well done, a bit more produced and this LP should
have been boring.
I prefer the unpolished violin/gtr ecstasy of Death Warmed Up.

.joe