OFF/HW: double bass

Chris Warburton desdinova at MADASAFISH.COM
Fri Aug 3 18:07:58 EDT 2001

At 21:29 02/08/01, you wrote:
>At 09:36 8.2.01 EDT, you wrote:
> >> yeah, he was among the first, or _the_ first, rock drummer to do
> >> so...in cream.
> >>
> >> did keith moon?
> >> maybe not?
> >
> >I've definitely seen pics of KM using a double outfit...
>Michael Giles of the first King Crim used a double bass rig.

I've SEEN Moon using a double kit...
I'm slightly surprised about MG, but I wouldn't contradict, not having any
piccies to hand
Ian Paice definitely used a double, but maybe not always...
The first guy I saw in person using one was Pete Dunton of T2 (my first
ever real gig!)
Funny nobody mentioned Jon Hiseman in this context - he's used a double as
long as I can remember...
John Marshall MAY have with Nucleus...
Christian Vander?
IMHO, too many drummers used 'em that shouldn't have - and a lot of my
favourite drummers didn't e.g. Terry Williams of Man (who also never took a
solo AFAIK) or Brian Spring who played with Stan Tracey for years,,,
There's no point in having a huge kit just for the sake of it.  I always
thought the neatest idea was the single bass drum with the double pedal!

More than 2p worth there I think!
ChrisW
NP: Radio 3 - Proms 2001, Julian Joseph Trio

*Some days it just ain't worth chewing your way through the leather straps*