BOC: Al on double bass

iain ferguson iainferguson at AOL.COM
Mon Aug 6 07:44:10 EDT 2001

Theo,
main reason for not having 2 bass drums is so that you can use the hi-hat
more effectivelyl. Many double bass drummers close the hi-hit most of the
time.
Whilst a drummer that uses a lot of hit hat yet wants the flexibility of
being able to use 2 bass drum pedals will have a double pedal and be able
to dance onto the hi-hat very easily and back to the bass drum pedal when
needed. It gives you greater flexibility in what you can do.

If you're not tall like myself, I find a double bass drum a hinderance as
you have to spead your legs futher with the 2 drums. I therefore opted for
a double pedal for a while, before going back completely to a single
pedal.

But surely the number one reason to have a double beater instead of to
drums is so that you dont look too heavy metal  <G> unless thats the style
your playing..

regards
iain