HW: Huw Rejoins

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Mon Aug 6 20:21:02 EDT 2001

On Mon, 6 Aug 2001 00:17:22 +0100, david hall
<dave at PARMA29.FREESERVE.CO.UK> wrote:
>I think the problem with some of the eighties stuff was the lack of
>keys/synth player, rather than the presence of Huw.

I would say that the synergism of these two factors needs to be taken into
account ... allow me to elaborate, as I'm one of those people who thinks
more highly of 70s & 90s HW than the 80s.  This is a bit of an
oversimplification, but:

strong rhythm guitar = Huw good
little or no rhythm guitar = Huw a total mess

It's appropriate that most people have cited "Motorway City" as one of
Huw's best leads (I'd certainly list it as one of the few of his that I
think are excellent), as the song is heavily driven by the rhythm guitar.
But when there's nothing for him to follow, his playing devolves into what
I hear as a bunch of chromatic noodling (with occasional noodling on
harmonics - c.f. "Solitary Mind Games").  At least Nik's chromatic noodling
is reminiscent of greats like Charlie Parker and Ornette Coleman ...

Having listened to several concerts from 82/83 recently, I've heard the
band suffer from lack of rhythmic content when either Dave or Harvey are
playing synth instead of guitar/bass (the problem with lack of dedicated
synth player).  And for a band like Hawkwind, for whom rhythm has been one
of the most important components of the music (Lemmy & Simon, Alan &
Richard ... and much of the band's synth usage over the years has been to
flow with the rhythmic structure of the song), that is very much NOT a good
thing.  This wasn't as big a deal with the 90s trio lineup since A) it
featured a FAR superior drummer (and bassist), and B) "artificial" rhythm
technology (drum machines, trigger->MIDI devices, etc.) had come a
loooooong way since the early 80s.

Fortunately, Jerry appears to be as gifted a rhythm guitarist as capt.
Brock, so in the current lineup, Huw should have the rhythmic support he
needs to play well, even when Dave's playing keys/synth (but I also think
that Jerry's a far better lead guitarist than Huw, at least FOR HAWKWIND -
Huw would still unquestionably be the better lead guitarist for Leo Sayer
or Widowmaker).  Just my opinions, of course ...

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com