Bob Calvert a punk?

Eric Siegerman erics at TELEPRES.COM
Tue Aug 7 13:39:47 EDT 2001

On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 11:32:40AM -0400, DASLUD at AOL.COM wrote:
> In a message dated 8/7/01 10:52:01 AM, Lindas at MARKETDAY.COM writes:
>
> << Is Calvert gonna be
>
> bashed next for being too punk?>>
> =======
> um....Mr Calvert was not, under any circumstances, a punk.

No, but arguably new wave.  Or rather, one can't say he *was* new
wave, but there was crosstalk.  20 years on, Hype sure sounds to
me like a new-wave album.  Lord of the Hornets fits right into
the period between NW proper and electrobeat (think Romeo Void/
Waitresses/Flying Lizards).

Indeed, I used to work with someone who was as rabid a
Depeche-Mode fan as we are HW fans, who absolutely detested "70s
guitar rock".  This was the end of the 80s, and he'd have been in
his early 20s at the time.  Of my rather eclectic tastes, the
only things he could abide were Hype (but no other HW or friends
or relations, thank you very much), the Cars ... and,
unaccountably, Petula Clark's Greatest Hits.

|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics at telepres.com
|  |  /
necessarily a good idea.
        - RFC 1925 (quoting an unnamed source)