HW: Barney exhibit

Jill Strobridge jill at THETA-ORIONIS.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Tue Aug 7 18:32:41 EDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: Moonglum <moonglum at DREAMWORKER.CO.UK>
> , the occasional tube train sounds - do you think they were part of
the
> exhibition or for real?!

yeah - I assumed the tube train sounds were for real but then having
watched the Pan Transcendental Enterprises film through twice the sound
seemed to recur at exactly the same place on each occasion.
Unfortunately since I had to rush off in search of a real one didn't
have a chance to test the possibility further.    The people at the desk
asked where I'd heard about the exhibition and seemed surprised and
impressed when I said from the Hawkwind mailing list!

I confess that I was fascinated by the amount of early material someone
had obviously lovingly and carefully collected and kept safe;  a little
dismayed by the revelation of Barney Bubbles character - not how I had
envisioned him at all and I had no idea he was the inspiration behind
the Imperial Pompadours 'Ersatz';  and rather disappointed by the
apparently home-made clumsiness of the presentation and layout.
There is probably serious artistic rational behind the layout that I've
missed and perhaps the rather grandiose simpliicity was to make some
kind of statement but black gothic lettering on 8 foot high
washed-out-green coloured slabs of wood didn't seem to me to complement
either the antiquity of the early magazines nor the quality of Barney
Bubbles creativity.     There was a simplicity to his work but not in
the massiveness and dullness conveyed by the presentation - where was
the colour? - the activity? - the excitement?   Admittedly being in a
cellar didn't help but even a couple of those oil-slide filters with a
lamp would have given some atmosphere.  And any background colour other
than green.....    Maybe.

As I say I've probably missed some fundamental point here so if anyone
wants to enlighten me feel free!
Definitely interesting though.
jill