Huw bashing

dave evans achad13 at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 8 13:58:48 EDT 2001

it's easy to give opinions of various members of HW, and my, haven't there
been a lot...... which is my point-: given that the "revolving door policy"
for personnel  seems to have slowed in recent years we might assume that Huw
is going to be around for a while; or he might leave/get fired during the
next gig; so be happy he is back for now, to add his sound to the shows, for
he may be gone tomorrow (as might all but one of the rest....) It is this
kind of fluidity that makes the Hawks the truly great band they are; an old
member can turn up for one gig and fit in almost seamlessly; such is the
vibe, and the ability of the musicians.

It seems to me that the only former members who might not get back in for a
gig or two are the dead ones and anyone with the surname "Baker".... which
means that every gig can be a real surprise.... I recall a christmas show at
the Rainbow in London (81, I think), when Bob Calvert, Nik and Mike Moorcock
all showed up and it was a completely different set to the autumn tour which
had finished only a few weeks before...... there simply are not other bands
who can do that kind of thing live, most of the rest just go for lowest
common denominator; play the hits, have an audeince participation bit, do a
drum solo and rake in the merchandising money. Personally I like to see new
stuff, not the repeats; and for me "new stuff" is an ever-changing lineup of
HW; Huw playing with Jerry, Dave etc; with technology that wasn't around
when he was last with the Hawks, and songs that he's not played live before.
just my opinion

dave