BOC: Curse of the hidden mirror

Charlie Grant charlie.grant at LINEONE.NET
Tue Aug 14 15:51:39 EDT 2001

First post for ooh - a year!

There was also a review in Kerrang! magazine - only gave it 2 K's tho':

Review ('scuse typing - and if you've seen it already, I don't always read
my mail in the best of memory)

>'Latest BOC offering fails to live up to mirror past glories.

If you ignored their photos and bloated live shows, New York melodic metal
monsters Blue Oyster Cult were really amazing songwriters and a supreme
studiio band. Their '76 album 'Agents of Fortune', and the underrated follow
up 'Spectres' was even better. But 'CotHM', despite the liberally splattered
tasty lead guitar work, dithers, plods and is cluttered with some of the
most clumsy and awkward choruses committed to rock songs. What a bunch of
Cults!'<

Review by Ray Zell. (Hope he doesn't mind me reproducing it :-))

Not exactly glowing or in depth, although some good (unintential?) puns.

.......Charles the Grinning Boy.

ps: Just bought AoF re-issue and it caused me to look through my 7" vinyl
collection and I came accross a promotional only single on the Arista label:
On one side 'A Fire of Unknown Origin', Time 2:07, written by Patti Smith
and Lenny Kaye from 1979, produced by Todd Rundgren - the words are the same
but the music is certainly interesting.