BOC-L Digest - 15 Aug 2001 to 16 Aug 2001 (#2001-319)

John A. Swartz jswartz at MITRE.ORG
Thu Aug 16 08:46:55 EDT 2001

> I bought a game a while back called "Descent II" and I recently started
> playing around with the cheat codes to see what they did (and to help work
> out some of the harder bits of the game). One of the codes is "GODZILLA"
> and I was taken aback the other day when I typed it in and a message
> appeared on the screen saying "Oh, No! There goes Tokyo!". Do you think one
> of the software team is a BOC fan or is this line from one of the movies or
> something? Or just a coincidence? Perhaps a vague reference at best, but it
> was the first thing I thought of.

No, I am pretty sure that this is definitely a BOC reference.  The line
"Oh no - there goes Tokyo" is from the BOC lyrics, and as far as I know,
Buck didn't get that lyric from a Godzilla movie or anything.  Sounds to
me like someone on the s/w team is either a fan, or at least familiar
with the song.

John