HW: Canterbury

Alastair Lee Sumner als at POSTMASTER.CO.UK
Sun Aug 19 17:31:15 EDT 2001

Ok, for me this gig was one of the most enjoyable of all the HW gigs that
I've ever been to and I'm usually quite critical of HW gigs. I picked a
great position to stand, about 3 rows back dead center, and fought to keep
it all night. Where I was standing the sound was superb, best I've ever
heard.

My state of mind was clear as a bell and I was 'right there' for this gig,
and the Hawkwind sound was right in front of me with some of the best
contributors in the history of the band in my opinion.

The sound was tight and the band seemed fresh to me. Levitation and Magnu
were my highlights. I was 'in' those songs. I think all of the set was pre
1982.

The light show was fairly simple but very solid and colourful with some
cool oils and computer graphics. Wicked stuff!

>From my perspective it looked as if they were really enjoying themselves.
Some of the set seemed spontaneous with some jamming going on. After the
encore someone said that there was time for another and they came back on,
something I personally have never seen them do before, and played Ejection.
Ace!

The festival itself was not full but there was enough people there and many
were Hawkfans. There was no hostile atmosphere and many families were
there. I had a really good day. Top stuff!

I didn't care about the other bands, I was busy preparing myself for
Hawkwind. I'll have to listen to Porcupine Tree another time.

The only thing I disagree with is that Dave and Kris said goodnight to us.
I think that by then the others were hallucinating ;)

It wasn't a perfect gig, there were moments when the jamming seemed to
trail off and come to nothing. But all in all it was one of the most
memorable gigs I've been to and my first with other proper Hawkfans. Good
to see other people from the list to.

What a day,
Alastair.

On Sun, 19 Aug 2001 18:38:03 +0100, Moonglum <moonglum at DREAMWORKER.CO.UK>
wrote:

>Set list is about right.  Great gig, on a par with Croydon for me, others
>thought "best ever" - but we talked to one bloke who didn't rate it all.
We