HW: Canterbury

Kirsten Procter kprocter at CHIARK.GREENEND.ORG.UK
Mon Aug 20 05:29:50 EDT 2001

On Sun, 19 Aug 2001, Alastair Lee Sumner wrote:

> Ok, for me this gig was one of the most enjoyable of all the HW gigs that
> I've ever been to and I'm usually quite critical of HW gigs.

 And what glorious weather! It was raining in bursts, enough to stop
those of us dancing from overheating, but not enough to turnn  it
inot a mud bath and the lights kept catching the
rain, and the dew on the grass, shimmering golden.

 But mainly I think the reason this gig was the best Hawkwind I've ever
been to was that Bob was more clearly present than he has been before -
and having a whale of a time.

 And, as other people have said, the whole thing was on some other
planet. Like being swept away, out of reality.
.
> The light show was fairly simple but very solid and colourful with some
> cool oils and computer graphics. Wicked stuff!
 <nod> At one point the whole stage was wreathed incoloured somke -
excellent stuff.

> The festival itself was not full but there was enough people there and many
> were Hawkfans. There was no hostile atmosphere and many families were
> there. I had a really good day. Top stuff!
<nod> It was nice to see so many children./ Sadly, my own wee one
appeared unimpressed by hawkwind, and fell asleep - he didn;t seem to
believe us when we pointed out that they were Hawkwind, same as on the
records. he liked Porcupine Tree though, recognised them.

> I didn't care about the other bands, I was busy preparing myself for
> Hawkwind. I'll have to listen to Porcupine Tree another time.

 Shame. Josiah were just good clean fun, I'll definitely be attempting
to acquire some at some stage - the Hamsters were great,. The first
time I'd ever heard them, and, well, they rock as only people who've
been doing it for ever can. Osibisu, or whatever they're actually
called, were pleasant but nothing special imho, Caravan got heavier,
and thus better as they got towards the end of their set, and Porcupine
Tree rocked. Yes, of course Steve looked like he wasn't enjoying
himself - he';s a goth, he'd rather sit around and mope. He's a gloomy
buzzard, and that's allk there is to it. It aalways amazes me how stuff
which is vaguely OK in a poppy fashion in the studio takes off live
with PT. Good stuff.

 Kirsten
--
Kirsten Procter                                                    ghoti
http://www.mono.org, http://www.snowplains.org and http://www.harem.org