OFF: Bevis Frond help!

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Mon Aug 20 17:36:36 EDT 2001

>On Tue, 21 Aug 2001 01:55:23 +0400, Alice <coral at APORT.RU> wrote:
>>Please tell me what is the best Bevis Frond album to start to know his
>>music?
>
>Funny, a friend & I were discussing "best Frond albums" yesterday on the
>drive back to San Francisco.  My votes would be 'Inner Marshland' or 'New
>River Head'.  Also, 'Live at the Great American Music Hall' is a good
>overview (with it you'll recognize 90% of the songs in the standard live
>set) and includes Ade Shaw's bass playing (he isn't on most of the studio
>albums ... and 'Inner Marshland' was recorded before Nick decided he was
>willing to play live again).
>
>I'm sure you'll get a lot of opinions on this one ...

Yep.  I like "Sprawl" the best, though haven't heard them all.  The Live
album Doug mentions would be my second recommendation.  The early albums,
like "Inner Marshland" and "Triptych" are pretty muddily recorded, so
consider that if it's important to you.

The new "Scorched Earth" album (which I think is mainly Frond Folx, plus a
few F&R, under pseudonyms) is pretty outstanding too.  And Acid Jam 2 also!
Definitely get this one!  I haven't heard the Fred Bison V thingy, which is
another 'spinoff' (note the anagram).  What's that like, anybody?  And
there's the live Country Joe concert w/ Frond backing, if you like his stuff.

Grakkl (FAA)