HW: and BOC: First post

Eli Friedman EliPXR5 at AOL.COM
Mon Aug 20 23:38:50 EDT 2001

Keith,
        That was a seriously lovely recap. I smiled, I laughed. But I am
going to suggest you start to cut back a tad on caffeine...
love ya bud, Eli Friedman

In a message dated 8/20/01 8:55:16 PM, henderson.120 at OSU.EDU writes:

<< Huw and Alan are back...Keith (Kniveton)'s officially in (synths).  Ron and
Jerry (and Rizz+) were conspicuously absent at Canterbury, though nobody's
sure what that means exactly.  Simon H. was there though, and seems to be
guesting frequently once again.  The new live "Original Hawkwind minus Dave"
live CD (on Ozit label) has crappy sound, so don't get it.  The other new
Nik product (studio?) seems to be pretty good (forgotten it's name already).
Hawkwind is touring the UK in early November, and if they follow in
Canterbury mode (which I kinda doubt, since they have time between now and
then to work up some different material), the set will be all '72-'82
material.  AndyGee certainly has the SHouse CD in the UK, but 'we' might
actually have it here in the states too.  Check the catalog at
www.aural-innovations.com - I think I saw some in Jerry's house the last
time I was over there.  Don't wait long though - he never keeps big
stockpiles of things.  Apparently, with essentially the old mid-80s lineup
back together, there's talk of the Death Generator project actually seeing
the light of day in the form of a new 2002 studio album.  Somebody noticed
another DBrock title in a catalog somewhere, and figured it might be the
long-rumoured '7696' CD finally appearing in the marketplace.  (Ummm...I'm
guessing also that the 'Looking for Love in the Lost Land of Dreams' or
whatever that title was, actually became 'Spacebrock' - true?).  The EMI
remasters (along with the Chicago Live 1999 Party '74) are reappearing in
jewelbox form, presumably at a cheaper price.  But things like Quark,
Warrior, PXR5, and especially '25 Years On' are impossible to find these
days, except on Ebay at stupidly inflated prices.  Daevid Allen is on tour
with the University of Errors in the eastern US right at the moment.  Then
some dates with Gong this fall in the UK, once or twice appearing with
Hawkwind.  Tim Blake once got thrown out of a car on tour with HW years ago.
Plug your synths through Dave's amp to get the old Space Ritual sound that
Del once had.  It rained at Canterbury but nobody minded much.  Steve Wilson
of Porcupine Tree seems to have a moody disposition, and doesn't wear shoes
on stage.  Foot and mouth disease didn't seem to be an issue there I guess.
Everyone agrees that you must have the Starfield CD-R from 1999, which is in
fact what I'm listening to right now.  Star Nation is a different story
(although a good CD as well), and don't get the two confused.  Strange Daze
2001 is being held indoors this year (Oct. 26-27), but should (musically) be
just as good with Harvey and Mr. Quimby's Beard (whose name might have some
strange sexual connotation that I don't understand, 'cause I'm not English)
headlining.  All details at www.strange-trips.com.  Harvey and MQB will also
be touring around the eastern US (including the south....still looking for a
club in Atlanta to play in...anybody?  E-mail Jim)  Don't spam the list with
silly personal attacks or useless content-less jibber-jabber (as Mr. T would
say)....we ain't got no time for that.

>and BOC (other than the finally-at-last remasters, the Rhino
>release of the Stalk Forrest Group material and the gawd-awful
>disappointment that is Curse Of The Hidden Mirror)?

Some people liked it.  The Helen Wheels tribute is appearing shortly also.

Grakkl (FAA)

P.S.  You can skip this and just read the WWW archives if you want the
detailed version.  :)