HW: Oranger/ SR ideas

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Tue Aug 21 20:14:18 EDT 2001

Man, the things you come up with when you type "Hawkwind" into a search
engine!

On Tue, 21 Aug 2001 17:32:40 -0600, mike c <deltawave at METRONET.COM> wrote:
>  Wots this???  just stumbled across it-
>
>http://www.oranger.net/hear/mercury.html

"Purists argue that, without Lindsay, Mercury was not a pure Oranger
release, but it became the basis for the entire Space Rock movement of the
early 70's. It's use of Moog synthesizers (often played on Mercury by Moog
himself) and guitar feedback were as unsettling as they were beautiful.
Stanley Kubrick, having just released 2001, almost pulled his film from
release to rescore it with tracks from Mercury. Members of Hawkwind settled
out of court for stealing ideas from Mercury for use on their classic Space
Ritual LP."

It's obviously a joke, since Oranger are a current local (San Francisco)
band ... check out their "live dates" page (I'll add that many of those
bills were with truly AWFUL, WRETCHED bands that SUCK).  Never actually
seen/heard them ... nor did I check their website to see if they have
anymore fake albums like that listed ...

(Oh yeah - and Bob Moog never played on *anybody's* album or
soundtrack 'cause he's not a musician!)

     -Doug
      jasret at mindspring.com