OFF: God Speed You Black Emperor

John H. McCartney scorch at TE-CATS.COM
Fri Aug 31 19:44:03 EDT 2001

Well, the previous discussion regarding GYBE was interesting, but
this time 'round it really sparked my interest to the point that
I ventured out yesterday to see what I could find.

There's the bin, oh no! Empty! Hmmm... let's check the used section.
Had I not already visited the band's website I never would have
recognized it, but there sat a copy of Zero Riot...

Wow. Wow. Wow. I want more.

Also, because I'd been to the website, my eye was caught by a copy
of Shalabi Effect, a related band. As the advert tag reads - "a
staggering 131 minute 2CD blowout!" "A blend of middle-eastern
influenced folk with spacey electronics and psychedelic music."

If you like the less rock-sounding Ozrics stuff, you'll love this.
I dunno about 'folk', but there's lots of middle-eastern drumming
and modal influences, and tons of spaciness and 'psych'.

Plus, you can't go wrong with the Hubble photo of the Eagle Nebula
as your album cover..... (also seen as the cover of the debut by
Nebelnest, an excellent French band in the vein of Red-era Crimson.)

scorch