OFF: Magma?

Stephan Forstner stemfors at PIPELINE.COM
Tue Dec 4 13:00:00 EST 2001

>Outstanding band even with it being moreso a "Vander and friends" combo
>(the friends being Ripper Owens-type tribute band recruits I think)

Agreed, but then again the 'original' lineup was quite fluid as well, the
Vanders being the only constants - just like Hawkwind is whoever is
currently playing with Dave...

>Don't forget to find the self-titled 'Weidorje' album, that was the 'Captain
>Lockheed' of Magma albums (I think you know what I mean by that)...it's darn
>good too.

Second that! And if you like it, you might want to seek out Bernard
Paganotti's solo album 'Paga' as well, and the solo album from
Jean-Phillippe Goude (keyboardist for Weidorje) titled 'Drones'. Both discs
contain more than a modicum of Magmoidian musical moments, enough to
maintain a Magma-nimous mood in the minds of more mellow Magmaphiles. It is
rumored that the solo release from Patrick Gauthier (keyboardist for Magma,
Weidorje, and that other great French band Heldon) titled 'Bebe Godzilla'
similarly satisfies, but I haven't heard that one. And speaking of Heldon,
Richard Pinhas contributes to one track on 'Drones'.

Stephan