OFF: MP3 players

Chris Gibbs chris at HAWKLORD.UKLINUX.NET
Tue Dec 4 21:12:34 EST 2001

Hi ya,

> Can anyone tell me if any of the MP3-CD Players or DVD Players play MP3's
> without leaving gaps between tracks, as I've been considering the purchase
> of a player, but only if I know I can enjoy listening to the tracks without
> hearing a gap that should not always be there, such as where tracks are
> either live or linked together?

The answer is yes/no, if you mp3 encode one side of an album you will
hear it the way it should be.

mp3 is audio compression.  It is not like *.zip or *.tgz file
compression however.
When you decompress *.zip or *.tgz files you get exactly what you
started with.

When you decompress mp3 files you do not get exactly what you started
with, you get something that will sound the same as what you started
with, and it can be very good, at the sacrifice of file size you can get
much better than cd quality from mp3.

My guess is that there will always be a start and/or end gap on a track
because with mp3 the aim is for good compression.

The Mp3 players I've seen are very, very good.  If you encode a cd as
one track you will hear it as one track.  If you encode a vynal album,
and you have enougth memory on the player you can get much better than
cd quality.  Which blows my mind because with mp3 you never get back
what you put in, but if you want quality its there.

Chris
--
There are people so addicted to exaggeration that they can't tell the
truth without lying.