HW: John Perry

Ted Jackson tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Wed Dec 5 06:21:29 EST 2001

On 5 Dec 2001, at 1:45, Chris Gibbs wrote:

> My guess is that the Dead got famous and had to sell out to a record
> company.

Nope.  The Dead never sold any records, at any time in their career.
Their reputation and appeal centered upon their live act.  Now, what
they can be accused of is pandering to the tastes of their followers,
and I think that's what happened in the latter stages of their career.
The fans like the trippy, extended stuff that allowed them to dance
around--kind of like ambient background noise!

The Dead did make piles of money, but it was from playing live
concerts, not selling discs...

theo