OFF: style of Hillage music?

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Wed Dec 5 19:46:32 EST 2001

On Thu, 6 Dec 2001 00:00:55 +0000, Nick Medford <nick at HERMIT0.DEMON.CO.UK>
wrote:
>I don't know what the situation between Steve and his former Gong
>colleagues is, but he was a notable absentee at the 25th birthday reunion
>gigs, although he did remix one track on the "You Remixed" double CD.
>Daevid Allen was then quoted as saying he wasn't that impressed with
>Steve's contribution and thought it was one of the least interesting
>tracks on that album (he said it in a nice way of course, I'm
>paraphrasing). So make of that what you will!

I don't know, either.  I figured he wasn't at the reunion since he hadn't
played guitar in 20 years (although I guess I'm incorrect about that).
Possibly my alltime favorite "estranged bandmember" album sleeves is the
inside gatefold of 'Vive Gong/Gong est Mort' from '77 where Steve Hillage's
face is whited-out.  Either that, or the front cover of 'Notorious Byrd
Brothers', where the recently-sacked David Crosby is replaced with a horse -
 at least they used the horse's head, and not the other end (which Crosby
probably would have deserved).

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com