HW: Damned by the curse of Damned (was Re: Greasy Truckers Party 2001)

Thu Dec 6 08:53:35 EST 2001

On Sat, Oct 20, 2001 at 08:52:40PM +0100, Nick Medford typed out:

> Still waiting for anyone to say a good word about Culture Club though!

        I have considered this matter, and have come to the concluion that
there are in fact two good things to be aid about Culture Club, though I
realise not everyone will agree. Firstly, Boy George was the first media
celebrity of any voltage that I was aware of (apart I suppose from Quentin
Crisp but that's a different matter) to manage to hold onto a place in the
public spotlight despite, indeed, because of, being gay. So I think he
probably made things a lot easier for those who followed. Even if one of
them was Julian Clarey (went to my school you know; they expelled
him... ).

        The other thing is that they were on the A-Team, which is more
than most, possibly any, other British groups can claim. But as I said you
may not agree that that's a good thing.

        Can't find anything good to say of the music however :-) Yours,

Jon

ObCD: ICU - _Pass Out_
--
        Jonathan Jarrett                Birkbeck College, London
                 jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk