Off: virus from list member

Dan Witt Warren_Oates at MSN.COM
Sat Dec 8 19:03:40 EST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nick Medford" <nick at HERMIT0.DEMON.CO.UK>

> free to comment- so c'mon Dan, it's clearly an accident, it's easy to pass
on
> viruses without realising, stop making a morality play out of it. I've
received
> email viruses from work colleagues in the past- shit happens. I wouldn't
> dream of telling them they were "guilty" blah blah. As far as I'm aware
I've
> never passed a virus on but that's due more to luck than judgement. Even
> the most effective anti-virus software isn't 100% bomb-proof.

AV software is not to blame, I don't even use it.  When you get an email
with an attachment and it's an executable, don't execute the damn
thing(unless you know exactly what it is).  It's really that simple.

Also if you're using outdated software you open yourself up to these
problems too.  An old MS Outlook express will run the virus for you, without
you asking it to.  I know some of you fiercely defend you're right to use
outdated software, so I won't say anymore about it.

The shame comment was only fired off cause I thought he had been careless.
I thought it was a mild statement.  Anyway no hard feelings to anybody, just
don't spread viri, please.