OFF: Porcupine Tree

Nick Medford nick at HERMIT0.DEMON.CO.UK
Tue Dec 11 06:59:33 EST 2001

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001 12:50:31 -0500, K Henderson <henderson.120 at OSU.EDU>
wrote:

>SI is nearly all-instrumental.  Very dreamy/spacey material, more like the
>last track on UtD (forgotten the title).

"Fadeaway"- my favourite track on the album in fact, so that's pretty much
sold it to me.

>I think the level of 'orchestration' and IMHO
>over-production (esp. on vocals) became an issue with "Stupid Dream."

I would agree with that part, the production is gleaming but sterile on the
recent releases. I've over-analysed this to death and beyond in the past so
won't repeat myself but in short I think there's great merit in "Stupid
Dream" (which I would rate higher than "Signify"), considerably less in
"Lightbulb Sun", and very little indeed in "Recordings".

>>Now- does anyone know where I can get the album by Speaker\Cranker??
>
>I could take a look in local stores for you...sometimes, they have this in
>the 'local' bin.

Well, that would be much appreciated, but if not I'm OK with getting it
from Ubutique now I've unravelled the instructions on their site.

I know the Cleveland store www.bentcrayon.com is another
>Pere Ubu-family friendly dealer.

Thanks for the pointer, there's nothing on the site about overseas
ordering, but I've emailed them and await further instructions.

Nick