OFF: The Hard & The Heavy Volume One

Brian Halligan blackblade at BHALLIGAN.COM
Tue Dec 11 12:40:13 EST 2001

Theo wrote:

> A lot of fans prefer their earliest stuff.  I really like Dopes to Infinity,
> I'm so-so on Powertrip, a disc that DW has admitted was made with
> a calculated effort to make money and appease the record label.
> And I really like GSN, so go figure.  I'm not so sure I'd describe any
> MM as mainstream, esp. the lyrics which are often hillarious, and
> drenched in sometimes obscure pop culture imagery.  The music is
> great, but probably lacking in guitar playing flash for some
> listeners...

My fave is Spine of God. To me, it sounds like heavily-layered Black Sabbath
with a psychedelic bent (especially with their notorious lyrics). In other
words, Blanga! ;-) Their version of Sin's a Good Man's Brother is even
better than Gov't Mule's....

I also like Dopes, but by then the sound had already become much more
polished.

Brian