OFF: online cd shops

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Tue Dec 11 19:24:18 EST 2001

>>Alice wrote:
>> >
>> > Hello!
>> >
>> > What good online cd shops do you know?
>
>Some of the smaller ones that I have found good for hard-to-find stuff:
>
>www.freakemporium.com
>www.glitterhouse.de
>www.othermusic.com
>www.bentcrayon.com (discovered today)
>www.clamazon.com
>www.forcedexposure.com (tend to be expensive though)

Um, while it lasts....
www.cranium.co.nz (New Zealand)

Let's see....these will all be in the States/Canada of course...

www.rpmrecords.com (in Dallas, TX I think, it's been awhile since I've
ordered from there...their prices are 'fair' but not the lowest)

www.subterranean.org (good for the new dbl Nik, and I imagine possibily the
new Farflung and Farflung/Damo CDs?) (Bay Area)

www.artist-shop.com (good US source of all Voiceprint things, apart from the
3-for-25UKP - possibly free shipping!? still waiting to find out - and a lot
of other interesting progressive stuff, like Gong & Nektar/Roye Albrighton)
(Ohio)

www.ab-cd.com (a place I've ordered from in the distant past) (NYC)

www.lasercd.com (Ken Golden, NJ?) (great prices, lots of prog/progmetal/kraut)

synphonic.8m.com (Greg Walker, CA) (decent prices, excellent selection of
anything prog-related, incl. kraut)

www.sonarc.net (I think NSA is either out of business or soon to go out of
business....another sad loss) (Long Island)

Doug Larson Imports (NJ?) don't have his URL memorized, try a search on that
name ('douglars' might be a better search, as I think that's probably part
of the address)

www.wildplaces.com (if that's Michael Piper's URL, I think it is.  Maybe
with a hyphen?  Or perhaps with a 'the' beforehand?)  He has the Gates of
Dawn LP label - home of the IEM LPs that are not-so-exclusive after all, and
also a CD label that released the Holy River Family Band 2CD thing, but he
also does regular mail order of CDs and LPs) (somewhere on the east coast I
think)

www.aether-or.com (esp. for psych and space, rare LPs and CDs as well.  Not
the most reliable folx, but their heart is in the right place.  Their Aether
and GaAs labels have released some nice things, like Tombstone Valentine,
Many Bright Things, Mushroom, and old SunDial.)

www.aural-innovations.com (I almost forgot)  :) (down the street a mile)

www.com4.com (someone just mentioned them...funny thing, that they're run by
Albert Garzon, the original producer of 10,000 Maniacs when Natalie was in
10th grade....he and the band no longer get along (understatement) and it's
still an issue of contention whether his releases of their early material
after they became famous were legal (his story that for some reason he
seemed it necessary to actually phone me up late at night and tell me after
I posted something about it somewhere) or not (the band's story))

Oh, yeah, the guy in Austin who runs Lone Starfighter...um, Pat Reilley.
Just looked up the URL...
http://www.vepo-music.com/g-recs/pat-1.html

Jim Collins, Crete IL - not sure if Jim's on the web.  I think he's here on
boc-l as a semi-lurker in any case.

Of course, Jim Lascko has some various HW things, but mainly
www.strange-trips.com is the place to get the three exclusive live CDRs from
various Strange Daze's (Harvey, Nik, Farflung) and also the 2CD 1997 SD
compilation.  (Andy Gee has these in the UK, at least he did at one point.)

And of course, routine searches through big engines like
www.gemm.com
www.ebay.com
www.half.com
are always useful for finding obscure things at random intervals.

I've ordered from one of these two (perhaps both?)...
www.cdcellar.com
and
www.cdquest.com
and I can never remember which is which.

For indie/postrock/shoegazer stuff, places like...
www.darla.com (Bay Area)
www.parasol.com (Illinois)
www.sonicunyon.com (Ontario)
www.clairecords.com (was Florida, now Sacramento?)