HW: special guest Ian K.

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Thu Dec 13 17:27:54 EST 2001

OK, now that I answered someone else's question, I have one of my own (and
I already checked the archives, which helped answer part of the question):

What exactly did Lemmy play on the occasions he guested with Hawkwind?

The dates are:
London          | Hammersmith Odeon     |  13.10.1978  |  Fri  |
BR/BA/CA/SW/GR/LE
Camden          | Electric Ballroom     |  29.12.1979  |  Sat  |
BR/BA/LL/BL/KI/LE
London          | Hammersmith Odeon     |  13.03.1984  |  Tue  |
BR/BA/LL/DM/TU/DF/LE/MO
London          | Hammersmith Odeon     |  14.03.1984  |  Wed  |
BR/BA/LL/DM/TU/DF/LE/MO
Crystal Palace  | Anti Heroin Festival  |  24.08.1985  |  Sat  |
BR/DA/BA/LL/TH/LE
Reading         | Festival              |  24.08.1986  |  Sun  |
BR/DA/BA/LL/TH/LE/DU
Finsbury Park   | Acid Daze             |  23.08.1987  |  Sun  |
BR/DA/BA/LL/TH/LE/DU
London          | Town & Country Club   |  30.05.1988  |  Mon  |
BR/DA/BA/LL/TH/LE
Brixton         | Academy               |  03.09.1989  |  Sun  |
BR/DA/BA/CH/HO/WI/LE
Brixton         | Academy               |  21.10.2000  |  Sat  |
BR/CH/TR/RI/HO/DA/KN/BA/TU/LE/BL

And the tracks are ...
>13.10.1978, LONDON, HAMMERSMITH ODEON, 80/8
>automoton / 25 years / high rise / death trap / micro man / spirit of the
age / urban guerilla / sonic attack / flying doctor / steppenwolf / psi
power / brainstorm / free fall / uncle sam's on mars / iron dream / master
of the universe  / silver machine

* This is the show where he grabbed the mic to sing "Silver Machine",
right?  So just vocals, no bass.

>29.12.1979, CAMDEN, ELECTRIC BALLROOM, 85/7
>shot down in the night / motorway city / spirit of the age / urban
guerilla / prelude / who's gonna win the war / world of tiers / new
jerusalem / lighthouse / brainstorm / phenomenon of luminosity / pxr5 /
master of the universe / silver machine / levitation

* Probably "Silver Machine"?  What about "Master of the Universe"?  But
surely not "Levitation", even if he did play (or just sing?) on "Silver
Machine".

>13.03.1984, LONDON, HAMMERSMITH ODEON, 110/8
>dream dancers / earth ritual / coded languages / angels of death / dragons
and fables / ghost dance / watching the grass grow / dream worker / born to
go / ten seconds of forever / paranoia / paradox / utopia / social
alliance / note from a cold planet / night of the hawks / ejection / uncle
sam's on mars / iron dream / curse of man / waiting for tomorrow /
brainstorm / sonic attack / dust of time / brainstorm / warrior on the edge
of time / psi power / master of the universe / silver machine
>14.03.1984, LONDON, HAMMERSMITH ODEON, 120/7
>dream dancers / earth ritual / coded languages / angels of death / dragons
and fables / ghost dance / watching the grass grow / dream worker / born to
go / ten seconds of forever / paranoia / paradox / utopia / social
alliance / note from a cold planet / night of the hawks / ejection / uncle
sam's on mars / iron dream / curse of man / waiting for tomorrow /
brainstorm / sonic attack / dust of time / brainstorm / warrior on the edge
of time / psi power /

* According to a listmember who was there, he joined the band for 40
minutes at at least one of these shows.  Does anyone know which songs?  I
would guess, "Night of the Hawks", "Ejection", the "Brainstorm"/"Sonic
Attack"/"Dust of Time" (aka "The Island") medley, "Master of the Universe",
and "Silver Machine".  That probably makes about 30 minutes (unless they
played "Silver Machine" forever) ... was that all?

>24.08.1985, CRYSTAL PALACE BOWL, 50/10
>intro / coded languages / angels of death / got your number / magnu /
dream worker / dust of time / instrumental / needle gun / assault &
battery / night of the hawks / brainstorm

* This has "Assault & Battery" / "Night of the Hawk" as the medley,
correct?  Did Lemmy play on both tracks?  What about "Brainstorm"?

>24.08.1986, READING FESTIVAL, 80/8
>magnu / angels of death / pulsing cavern / assault & battery / needle
gun / paradox / shade gate / master of the universe / arrival in utopia /
choose your masks / moonglum / brainstorm / dream worker / dust of time /
hassan i sahba / silver machine

* This one has been released (the only one!) on the 'Friday Rock Show' CD.
Lemmy plays bass and sings "Silver Machine" (which also features Dumpy).

>23.08.1987, FINSBURY PARK, ACID DAZE, 85/9
>intro / angels of death / assault & battery / lost chronicles / needle
gun / rocky paths / waiting for tomorrow / master of the universe / shade
gate / dragons and fables / arrival in utopia / moonglum / brainstorm /
dream worker / brainstorm / hassan i sahba / urban guerilla / silver
machine

* "Silver Machine", of course.  What about "Urban Guerilla"?  I assume
Dumpy also played on one or both?

>30.05.1988, LONDON, TOWN & COUNTRY CLUB, 100/8
>instrumental / arrival in utopia / needle gun / sword of the east / lost
chronicles / war i survived / levitation / shot down in the night /
wasteland of sleep / moonglum  / sonic attack / rocky paths / brainstorm /
master of the universe

* "Master of the Universe"?  "Brainstorm"?

>03.09.1989, BRIXTON, ACADEMY, 95/9
>intro / magnu / down through the night / treadmill / time we left /
heads / time we left / hassan i sahba / wind of change / assault &
battery / golden void / back in the box / brainstorm / dream worker /
damnation alley / needle gun / master of the universe / welcome

* "Master of the Universe" and "Welcome" (I think it was Andy Gilham who
mentioned this on the list).

>21.10.2000, BRIXTON, ACADEMY, 215/9 - "Earth Calling" through "Ejection"?
>hassan i sahba / space is their / hassan i sahba / assault & battery /
golden void / arrival in utopia / voyager / free fall / wage war / shot
down in the night / rocky paths / moonglum  / warriors / angels of death /
first landing on medusa / spirit of the age / psi power / motorway city /
hurry on sundown / only dreaming / hurry on sundown / lighthouse / right to
decide / sputnik stan / earth calling / you shouldn't do that / psychedelic
warlords / ten seconds of foreever / space is deep / forge of vulcan /
brainstorm / sonic attac / masters of the universe / born to go / orgone
accumulator / silver machine / ejection

* Everything from "Earth Calling" through "Ejection", except "Forge of
Vulcan", which was Simon House solo.

Any assistance filling-in-the-blanks and any corrections/additions are
welcome!  Thanks!

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com