HW: Ghostdance

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Fri Dec 14 01:21:22 EST 2001

Chuck responds...

>> The lineup for the fall '82 tour was:
>>  Brock / Turner / Lloyd-Langton / Bainbridge / Griffin
>>
>>  and the lineup for the fall '84 tour was:
>>  Brock / Turner / Lloyd-Langton / Bainbridge / Davey / Deamer
>>  (apparently Danny Thompson played some gigs, but not the 27.11.1984 date)
>
>...always knew the drums were too good to be Danny...though isn't he credited
>on the Undisclosed Files/Addendum disc?

I've only had two quick listens, but the new Bedouin is the first one with
DT on (virtually) all the tracks, and I must say he's alright now.  Nothing
amazing or anything, just he's certainly no longer any sort of major
annoyance.  And I think that a lot of his problem was really the way it was
recorded/engineered on those albums (Chronicle, Xenon) - the THUMP/THWACK
nature could have been toned down a bit by *someone* in 'post' you'd think?

Anyway, it'll take awhile before I have a finalized opinion about this
album, but with 35% of precincts reporting, I'm projecting Bedouin to win
re-election in their district.  "Follow these rules!"  (Oh, sorry.)  :)

Grakkl (FAA)

P.S. The answer to yesterday's trivia question (in the Onion spoof article,
which was almost certainly about me), is that My Dad Is Dead opened for
Hawkwind in 1989 at the Cleveland Phantasy Theatre, though instead of it
being just one guy (Mark Edwards), he had a bass player with him and a
rhythm generating box/tape player of some sort on the floor.  And I didn't
think they were very good.  But then they were better than the hiphop/rap
music that they then played very loudly over the PA for the next ninety
minutes (it seemed) until Hawkwind finally showed up again and walked onto
the stage....to then put on an amazing performance to a very large audience
(by US standards), perhaps 1000.  BTW, with all the amazing codexes
(codices? codexa? codpieces?) out there, is there one that contains all the
known warmup acts for as many gigs as can be known?  Has that even been
tried?  Challenging task that!