HW: how many is there

Fri Dec 14 07:33:26 EST 2001

On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, Doug Pearson wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Oct 2001 04:14:45 -0500, Dan Witt <Lwitt1 at QWEST.NET> wrote:
> >I was just wondering, how many official HW albums are there?
> >
> >Not counting any quasi stuff ...  Just official stuff the band has
> >put out from Hawkwind to Yule Ritual.
> >
> >Does anybody know off the top of their head?
>
> My count:
> Hawkwind
> X In Search of Space
> Doremi Fasol Latido
> Space Ritual Live
> Hall of the Mountain Grill
> Warrior on the Edge of Time
> Astounding Sounds, Amazing Music
> Quark, Strangeness & Charm
> P.X.R.5
> Hawklords / 25 Years On

        I generally get pernickety about that and say, no, it's a
Hawklords record not a Hawkwind one. But there's only so far you can take
that argument of course. It's probably the only `Hawklords' record that
point of view would be at all defensible over, in fact...

> Live '79
> Levitation
> Sonic Attack
> Church of Hawkwind
> Choose Your Masques
> Zones
> Earth Ritual Preview EP
> This is Hawkwind / Do Not Panic
> Chronicle of the Black Sword

        Hokay, why not _Live Chronicles_? It was on GWR and it's on Castle
these days, and it dosn't seem to be in the list of ones you ignored...

> Out & Intake
> Xenon Codex
> Palace Springs
> Space Bandits
> Electric Tepee
> Decide Your Future EP
> It is the Business of the Future to be Dangerous
> The Business Trip
> Quark, Strangeness & Charm EP
> Psychedelic Warriors / White Zone

        _Area S4_ EP here by my count. I see you leave it out deliberately
below, is that because it has no exlcusive material other than the edited
`Alien'? If so why is _Decide Your Future_ `in'?

> Alien4
> Love in Space
> Lord of Light EP

        Do you mean the `Love in Space' single?

> Distant Horizons
> Hawkwind 1997

        Um, is that really official? I grant you it's a band-sanctioned
release but it's not what I'd call canon myself, just because of its
special release arrangements.

> In Your Area
> Yule Ritual
>
> That makes 36 (or 32, if you don't count the four EP's)

        37 or 32 by my adjustments. Also...

> Not counted:
> Glastonbury Fayre
> Greasy Truckers Party
> Roadhawks
> Masters of the Universe
> Repeat Performance
> Angels of Death
> Weird Tapes vol. 1-7
> Hawkwind Zoo EP
> Sonic Assassins EP
> Valium Ten/Motorhead single
> Friends & Relations vol. 1-3
> Text of Festival
> Bring Me The Head of Dave Anderson
> Space Ritual vol.2
> Independent Days 1 & 2
> Anthology / Acid Daze vol. 1-3
> Hawkfan 12
> Bristol Custom Bike Show
> Travellers Aid Trust
> Radio 1 In Concert / Spacerock from London
> Live at Reading 1986
> Stasis
> Psychedelic Warlords & Lord of Light
> California Brainstorm

        Now, why not that one? I know it's a one-off deal but it's not
like a boot or anything, and furthermore it's a damn good album. Dave's
guitar on that can be used to cut things...

> Live in Space 1990
> Spirit of the Age solstice remixes EP
> Gimme Shelter EP
> Future Reconstructions
> Hawklords Live
> Undisclosed Files
> Area S4 EP
> Kinder der Revolution / Burg Herzen
> Strange Daze 1997
> The 1999 Party

        I'd count that too, archive release or not. And I guess therefore
I'd have to count _Atomhenge 76_ or _Thrilling Adventures_ (but not
both!). I don't know what I think about _Live 1982_ or _Complete '79_ and
I certainly wouldn't want to include _Glastonury 1990_ but _Atomhenge_
seems to be soundboard...

> Griffin 4-CD box set
> Epoch Eclipse / Ultimate Best Of
> Ambient Anarchists
> All Collectors Series releases (Glasto 90, 79, Masques 82, Atomhenge 76)
> Hawkwind Family Tree
>
> Did I miss any?  Should anything that I didn't count, "count"?  Or vice-
> versa?  (My criteria for "counting": compilations don't count; various
> artists albums don't count; recordings that came out *after-the-fact* don't
> count - that's why 'This is Hawkwind/Do Not Panic' & 'Out & Intake' do
> count, but 'The 1999 Party' & the 'Hawkwind Zoo' EP don't; EP's with new,
> non-album material, count; stuff that's *just* remixes doesn't count ... I
> think that explains everything.)

        I couldn't apply such criteria wthout making exceptions, as you
see :-) But I think _Live Chronicles_ and _California Brainstorm_ (how far
after the fact? It was only a year... ) should be in there, and either
_Area S4_ should be or _Decide Your Future_ shouldn't. The rest I'll
accept is my personal view, and go get some more tea while Keith
H. decides how he's going to point out the delay between reality and my
mails this time :-) Yours,
                           Jon

ObCD: Blue Cheer - _Vincebus Eruptum_
--
"I recognise that I have transgressed many of the precepts of the divine
law, and that I am subjected by various vices and iniquities, disobedient

             (Jonathan Jarrett, Birkbeck College London)