HW: Tour review

Bernhard Pospiech bernhard.pospiech at T-ONLINE.DE
Wed Dec 19 13:54:03 EST 2001

Hello folks

Both lists seem to be very quiet at the moment. Therefore I decided to
write (again) a short tour review
I hope it is a little bit usefull for you

At 1st I'd like to thank my friends in the UK for sending me those great
recordings in that phantastic sound quality. THANKS!

Though I could not make it to this tour I have the luck to be in possession
of the following recordings:

Swindon Wyvern Theatre  03.11.2001      Sat     100min
Leeds   Irish Centre    06.11.2001      Tue     100min
Nottingham      Rock City       07.11.2001      Wed     100min
Birmingham      Sanctuary       08.11.2001      Thu     90min
Manchester      University      10.11.2001      Sat     95min
Glasgow Garage  12.11.2001      Mon     90min
Newcastle       Opera House     14.11.2001      Sun     100min
Cardif  Coal Exchange   16.11.2001      Fri     25min
Hitchin Town Hall       17.11.2001      Sat     100min
Poole   Arts Centre     18.11.2001      Sun     100min
Walthamstow     Assembly Hall   24.11.2001      Sat     105min

Main lineup:
Dave Brock
Huw Lloyd Langton
Alan Davey
Richard Chadwick
Simon House

Guests:
Captain Black
Captain Rizz

Track listing:
lighthouse / levitation / spiral galaxy / moonglum / brainbox pollution /
wind of change / angels of death / watcher / motorway city / hurry on
sundown / hassan i sahba / space is their / hassan i sahba / assault &
battery / golden void / ejection

In Birmingham they could not play EJECTION and in Edinburgh the played
SPIRIT OF THE AGE instead of EJECTION

(if I am wrong please let me know !)

I have to say that it was one of HAWKWINDs best ever tours!!!
I put this tour on the same high level as the ASTOUNDING 76 tour and the
USA 1989 tour !!!!
I never heard the band play so perfect. My feeling is that the main lineup
fits very good together.

Unfortunately Captain Black could not do the same great job as he did in
CANTERBURY (my absolute favorite Hawkwind gig)

Here are now some comments about the musicians.

Dave Brock:
The main HAWKWIND engine. He keeps the motors running. I can not imagine
HAWKWIND without him. Great job Dave!! Thanks for collecting all these
great musicians to our favorite band called HAWKWIND and play such a
mindblowing tour!!!!!!!!!!

Huw Lloyd Langton:
The tour of his live!!! He played like he never played before. I always
thought that he did his best job during the CHRONICLE tour. No! This was
his tour. PHANTASTIC Huwie!!

Richard Chadwick:
The rhythm-machine in the background. HAWKWINDs best drummer!!!
He has the right feeling for this kind of great music!!!  YES!

Simon House:
I never thought that Simon and Huwie could play at the same time on the
same stage. They did it and it was SUPERB! Simons violine and Huwies
guitar. WOW!! Simon, please stay with the band. You played great! And you
played so PHANTASTIC on my favorite track of this tour!

Alan Davey:
Welcome back Alan. I am very happy that you are again with HAWKWIND.
Great job during this tour. Very good WATCHER version. Thanks.
I like your bass style

Captain Black:
Great synthie player but unfortunately mixed down during the tour.
You played the gig of your live in CANTERBURY !! I can not get enough of
your playing at this festival.

Captan Rizz:
We do not need him

Now to the gigs:
Its very difficult to decide which was the best the worst gig because the
band did only play great gigs

But after listening about 5 or 6 times to each of these 11 gigs
(unfortunately Cardiff only 25 minutes long) I have to say that NEWCASTLE
was the best gig from this tour.
The 2nd best is LEEDS and then POOLE. At the end is WALTHAMSTOW. It was not
a bad gig!! If I had only this one it would still be a great gig but I had
the chance to compare and I had to make some ratings

NEWCATLE was exceptional. Best LIGHTHOUSE version (very different to the
other gigs !!!!) and best WIND OF CHANGE version. Unfortunately only a 7
minutes ANGELS OF DEATH version. Usually they played this song about 12
minutes long. The band had lot of fun during this gig!

Now to the songs:
The best ones are: WIND OF CHANGE, ANGELS OF DEATH, BRAINBOX POLLUTION and
LEVITATION. Yes, and MOTORWAY CITY in Newcastle!!

WIND OF CHANGE is awesome!!!! I am looking forward to get a video from this
tour and watch performing this song together with the lightshow and the dancer

OK. Thats it folks.
Thanks for reading my review. But maybe it is usefull for some of you.
Sorry if I shoud have written in bad English

cheers
Bernhard