HW: tour report

mark von bargen mark.von-bargen at GENIE.CO.UK
Thu Dec 20 14:51:30 EST 2001

Hi Arin and All,

Probably a little bit late to warn you that shows can get a bit lively at
Liverpool. I remember years ago getting well and truly battered while
getting stage front watching a band called Balaam and the Angel. And they
were only the support band (for Here & Now, I think), in a pub type venue.

Liverpool has a lovely warm reputation around the world and deservedly so
but it can get a bit hectic sometimes. Liverpool was listening to Pink Floyd
while the rest of the UK was getting off to the likes of Duran Duran,
Spandau Ballet and Wet Wet Wet. Also remember the Beastie Boys first UK tour
where they tried to go round showing the UK how hard they were, waving
baseball bats and similar around baiting the crowds and sneering at them,
trying to emulate UK punks like the Sex Pistols etc... Well at the very same
Liverpool Royal Court the show lasted about ten minutes before the Beasties
ran for their lives. It wasn't a pretty sight, especially for Adam and the
boys. Boy Bands never go down well in Liverpool!

Next time you get to the Royal Court Liverpool I can show you a boss place
to get a sound view and its not dangerously near the front.

Mark