BOC: Mirrors

Thu Dec 27 18:28:34 EST 2001

On Sun, Nov 04, 2001 at 08:52:20AM -0500, Stephen Swann typed out:
> On Sat, Nov 03, 2001 at 08:46:25PM +0000, Jonathan Jarrett wrote:
> >
> >         I maintain, well, I have done before and look here I go again,
> > that `Beat 'Em Up' is a fine song ruined by incredibly bad lyrics. At
> > least I thought they were incredibly bad till I heard `I Just Like to be
> > Bad' and now I yearn for the old days. But musically there's nothing wrong
> > with it at all. It is the only track on CN which can be so praised, though
> > in fact I would probably save `White Flags' also.
>
> White Flags is a pretty good pop song, though what it's doing on a BOC
> album is sort of beyond me...  But aren't you forgetting Perfect
> Water?  In spite of a couple of godawful verses ("Do you know Jacques
> Cousteau?  Well he said on the radio...") I think it's actually the
> best and most BOC-ish tune on that album.

        Um, I don't *mind* `Perfect Water'. But I would have to be allowed
to save a great many BOC master recordings from a fire before I'd go back
to get that one. I suppose it is the `classic' track from CN but in my
view (oh, is it time for this thread again already? :-) that doesnm't give
it much competition.

        A friend of mine was recently saying how she'd very much
appreciate a compilation taken solely from the last four albums. She's
loth to buy any of them entire but wouldn't mind three or four tracks on
each one. If I was compiling this however I wouldn't put anything off CN
on there. Yours,
                 Jon

--
        Jonathan Jarrett                Birkbeck College, London
                 jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk