HW: Swindon

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Fri Dec 28 08:06:21 EST 2001

Jonathan Jarrett writes:
>         Well, let's look at two points of view. A member of a newsgroup I
> make it to occasionally said in a thread on the WTC attacks that he'd
> really like everyone to let itr drop for a bit as he'd known someone on
> the secodn plane to hit and had thus seen that friend's death televised
> about a hundred times just lately and was not doing well with it. So maybe
> singing songs glorifying Arabic murderers and terrorists could be
> tactless.

Glorifying? Calvert is quite clearly being ironic in his lyrics.

>         My only real problem with it is that there really *was* any useful
> comparison between Hassan i Sabha and al-Qaeda then it would just be Bush
> and possibly Blair that were dead, or their more intelligent
> functionaries, and not thousands of people who were naff-all to do with US
> policy in the Middle East

Hmmmm. OK, so someone, who may or may not be inspired by Al Queda, the
Pakistani Secret Services or other bogeymen du jour hits the Indian
Parliament. They fuck up enough to just manage to kill cops, but the
intent was clearly to hit the guys at the top rather than a bunch of
citizens guilty of little more than paying taxes.

Result: Two nuclear armed powers lining up their armies, air forces and
nukes along their joint borders and brown underpants amongst everyone
who has diplomatoc experience of both countries.

I don't actually expect it to get that far just because Bush, Blair et
al are pleading for sanity to reign but one leetle mistake in that
powderkeg of generational distrust and so many taxpayers will fry that
9/11 will look like a match striking.

FoFP