HW: Ron and Jerry

Kirsten Procter kprocter at CHIARK.GREENEND.ORG.UK
Fri Dec 28 14:49:51 EST 2001

On Fri, 28 Dec 2001, IAN ABRAHAMS wrote:

> [...]

Well, yes. But on the other hand, whether people are likely to rejoin
the band might be of interest to listeners, don't you think?
<snip>

> Thanks, Michael. I think that all DB owes us is the best possible music by
> gathering together the best possible line-up: 2001 Winter Tour...Mission
> Achieved!

 Really? I've heard (and read) a number of people expressing that this
year's Christmas Party was the best gig they've ever been to. I miss
Ron. If I were old enough, I'd miss Bob. YES, the current line-up  is
great, it's nice to imagine the band playing together, writing new
material and [perhaps gelling in a way you can;'t quite if you're
changing line-ups all the time. But it's not my fantasy Hawkwind, and
I'd be surprised if it were many others <shrug>

 This last gig in particular, well, it was good, but there was still
time I spent standing around thinking 'What's going on, when's
something going to happen?' Now, that may be me, it might not be the
band at all. Spacebrock, for example, to me, sounds like a ground bass
with no melody. It doesn't seem to have a purpose - with ron's
Moneytree words, well, it got somewhere. It wasn't a boatless
anchor. <shrug> I don't understand Dave's solo work, and maybe that's
my fault and maybe because I can't reach it is no reason why it should
all be regarded as bad. No, not maybe, definitely. However, counting
those bits aside, I've heard better Levitations, for example. Or
Brainbox Pollutions. I've never heard Sonic Attack performed even half
as well, otoh. What I'm getting at is, yes, I enjoy Hawkwind
gigs. That's why I go to them, in preference to other things, other
bands, whatever, *BUT* I don';t see why the last was so special <shrug>
People are differnet, I guess.

 Kirsten
--
Kirsten Procter                                                         ghoti
nina mashine fedha