OFF: prog names in Lord of the Rings

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Sun Dec 30 21:11:38 EST 2001

>Some of these may not have turned up in the first movie, but
>they are mentioned in the trilogy.
>
>How about Steve Peregrin Took of T-Rex?  (Peregrin Took is Pippin's
>full name.)  http://www.steve-took.co.uk/
>
>There is a prog-jazz band called Mithrandir (an alternate name for
>Gandalf). http://www.gepr.net/mas.html#MIRTHRANDIR
>
>There is a prog rock band called Lorien, and another called
>Iluvatar.
>
>And there's a newage band called Shadowfax (Gandalf's horse).
>Cirith Ungol and Morgoth are heavy metal bands.  Mirkwood was
>a prog band that released on LP in '73.  The Hobbits recorded
>3 albums in the late 60s.
>
>I'm sure there's more...

I have a CD by Nazgul, or perhaps Nazgul is one of those suspected fake
krautrock bands (in which case I have a compilation with tracks attributed
to Nazgul).  Can't remember for sure.

Grakkl (FAA)

P.S.  Didn't think Lord of the Rings was anything to be excited about.
Sometimes a classic novel makes a crappy screenplay.  And sometimes computer
animation just looks like ridiculous fake garbage...see Balrog (or whatever
that stupid thing was called).  When's that Amber movie supposed to be finished?