HW: bootleg page nearing completion -- Brixton tree tba

John McIntyre mcintyre at PA.MSU.EDU
Fri Feb 2 10:36:18 EST 2001

Paul Mather wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Feb 2001, Bob Lennon wrote:
>
> => I guess the other reason I ask this is because I hate using the term
> => "bootleg" for a cassette tape that's sitting in my closet, that wasn't
> => purchased and will never be sold (by me at least) and I think needs to be
> => segregated from the illegal recordings. Unofficial or unauthorized is more
> => appropriate...anyone agree/disagree?
>
> I agree.  The term "bootleg" has a negative connotation, and often
> carries a knee-jerk reaction and unwelcome attention and scrutiny when
> it is used.
>
> Personally, I prefer simply "live recording".

Over on the Pink Floyd list they call them ROIOs: Recording Of Indeterminate
Origin.  Sometimes pronounced as "Oreo".

John McIntyre
Physics - Astronomy Domine Dept
Michigan State University
mcintyre at pa.msu.edu