Weird Tapes and other releases

Gary Davis artshop at ARTIST-SHOP.COM
Mon Feb 5 09:52:05 EST 2001

Hi, folks:

Sorry to be late in getting news out.  My wife and I have just brought home
a brand new baby boy, William Wallace Davis, and that's made me a tad behind
in a lot of things.  As ususal you'll find the latest Artist Shop Newsletter
in its entirety at <http://www.artist-shop.com/news.htm>.  But here are some
excerpts for Hawkwind/BOC fans.

Recently released from Voiceprint <http://www.artist-shop.com/voiceprt>
Hawkwind/Weird Tapes
The Weird Tapes were originally issued in the early 80's as very limited
editions,on cassette only.  They are now reissued on cd for the first time.
Remastered, with stunning new artwork,credits and bonus tracks.  Hawkwind
Records is authorised and overseen by original founder member Dave Brock, to
release rare and unissued recordings of the band.  1999 saw the band's
profile increase with the EMI 3cd set and massive press interest.
Hawkwind's anniversary celebrations continue with an All Nite ( 9 - 6 ) show
at Brixton Academy on 21st October,with Motorhead playing the next day !

Hawkwind/Weird Tapes 1 ( Sonic Assassins - Dave Brock )
Tracks 1 to 5 were taken from a show at Queens Hall, Barnstaple, Devon.
Recorded on 24th December 1977, featuring Bob Calvert on vocals.  Track 7
was recorded at Rockfield studio in March 1979, Harvey Bainbridge is
featured on bass.   Dave Brock plays all instruments on the other
tracks,which were laid down for a solo album.
soundbite - <http://www.artist-shop.com/voiceprt/weird1.ram>

Hawkwind/Weird Tapes 2 (Hawkwind Live - Hawklords Studio)
The first five tracks are taken from the Spirit Of The Age Tour, recorded in
1977, including Bob Calvert, Simon King and Simon House in the line up.  The
final three tracks are from Rockfield studio, recorded in 1978 and credited
to Hawklords.
soundbite - <http://www.artist-shop.com/voiceprt/weird2.ram>

Hawkwind/Weird Tapes 3 ( Free Festivals )
Tracks 1 to 5 were recorded at The Stonehenge Free Festival in 1977 with a
line up that includes Bob Calvert, Simon House and Simon King.  Tracks 6,7
and 8 were recorded at The Watchfield Free Festival in 1975 and include Paul
Rudolph and Nik Turner in the line up.
soundbite - <http://www.artist-shop.com/voiceprt/weird3.ram>

Hawkwind/Weird Tapes 4 ( Live 1978 )
These tracks were recorded live in 1978. The line up includes Bob Calvert on
vocals and generator, with Harvey Bainbridge on vocals and bass.  Due to
litigation, the band were recording and touring as The Hawklords.
soundbite - <http://www.artist-shop.com/voiceprt/weird4.ram>

Hawkwind/Weird Tapes 5 ( Live 1976 - 77 )
Tracks 1, 2 and 8 feature a line up that includes Bob Calvert, Nik Turner,
Paul Rudolph and Simon King.  These live tracks were recorded in 1976 at
Hammersmith Odeon.  The other live tracks were recorded in 1977, also at
Hammersmith Odeon.   Included in the line up are Bob Calvert, Simon House
and Simon King.
soundbite - <http://www.artist-shop.com/voiceprt/weird5.ram>

Hawkwind/Weird Tapes 7 ( Dave Brock Demos )
All instruments and vocals are played by Dave Brock.  They feature demo
recordings of future Hawkind tracks and were recorded on Revox and 4 Track
Teac, between 1976 and 1981.
soundbite - <http://www.artist-shop.com/voiceprt/weird7.ram>

Future releases from Voiceprint and associated labels (pre-order now)
<http://www.artist-shop.com/voiceprt>

Hawkwind/Spacebrock
This is the latest studio effort from those intergalactic space rockers with
all new tracks and artwork specially commissioned and supervised by Dave
Brock. The booklet features the words to each track with atmospheric
pictures capturing the mood of this brilliant album.  This is Hawkwind's
finest album for years, and essential for fans of this well loved group.

On our forthcoming imports page
<http://www.artist-shop.com/catalog/imports/preorder.htm>:

MOTHER GONG/DAEVID ALLEN-WILD CHILD/AUSTRALIA AQUARIA (2CD)
UK reissue of two highly acclaimed albums from the ever expanding Gong
family tree in a special 2 CD set, showcasing thee talents of Daevid Allen
and Gilli Smyth, the 1991 release, 'Australia Aquaria-She' and Mother Gong's
1991 release, 'Wild Child'. Featuring Robert Calvert on tenor and soprano
sax, as well as long time collaborator Harry Williamson. Brand new artwork.

And now let's get to information on the latest releases to be found at
<http://www.artist-shop.com/catalog/imports/new.htm>:

BLUE OYSTER CULT-TYRANNY & MUTATION + SECRET TREATIES (2CD)
Exclusive French coupling of their mythical albums presented in the infamous
Axe Killer double leather digipaks. Both CDs have been remastered and
feature bonus tracks. 'Tyranny & Mutation' adds 'Cities On Flame With Rock
'N' Roll' while 'Secret Treaties' adds, 'Stairway To The Stars'. Features a
28 page booklet with the bands biography, album lyrics and exclusive photos.

MOTORHEAD-ACE OF SPADES
25th anniversary reissue for one of Britain's premier metal bands.
Originally issued in 1980, their fifth album packaged in a limited edition
miniature LP sleeve.

MOTORHEAD-BOMBER
25th anniversary reissue for one of Britain's premier metal bands.
Originally issued in 1979, their third album packaged in a limited edition
miniature LP sleeve.

MOTORHEAD-OVERKILL
25th anniversary reissue for one of Britain's premier metal bands.
Originally issued in 1979, their second album packaged in a limited edition
miniature LP sleeve.

V/A-2001: A SPACE ROCK ODYSSEY (2CD)
31 track space rock compilation, an indirect celebration of the ultimate
space-age acid trip movie, '2001 A Space Odyssey'. Artists include the kings
of space rock-Hawkwind, the Welsh wonders of prog-Man, Uriah Heep, Atomic
Rooster, Stray, CMU, Colosseum, Status Quo and many more.

On a personal note, as you can imagine, I have to listen to just about every
promo CD that comes in in order to select and make the soundbites for the
website.  More often than not, I enjoy that.  But it's not always the case.
Hawkwind has certainly put out a lot of what you might call 'official
bootlegs' of iffy quality that has made for some rather tedious listening.
And, to be honest, I did approach the Weird Tapes CD's with some
trepidation.  However, I have to say that I was delightfully surprised by
the entire Weird Tapes series.  I thought both the sound quality and the
material were pretty good and I really enjoyed going over those CD's to pick
the soundbites.  These CD's will definitely get some more listens from me.

Gary

                          Gary Davis
The Artist Shop                              The Other Road
http://www.artist-shop.com          artshop at artist-shop.com
phone: 877-856-1158, 330-929-2056          fax:330-945-4923
              INDEPENDENT PROGRESSIVE MUSIC!!!