HW: last few questions for the famous spin-offs file

Douglas Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Tue Feb 6 02:39:47 EST 2001

Here's some additional info from Rod Goodway's interview with Simon House
in 'Ptolemaic Terrascope' #12:

>>4. Did Simon House come from Magic Muscle to Hawkwind or direct from
>>High Tide?

Rod Goodway: "[High Tide] ... split in 1971 and you joined the Third Ear
Band ... And then in 1972, while still a member of the Third Ear Band, you
made your debut with (and became an honorary member of) Magic Muscle."

(Magic Muscle opened for Hawkwind on the 'Space Ritual' tour; whether Simon
played with them for any of those shows is unknown to me)

>>2. Tanz der Youth - what was the name of their single single?

I'm Sorry, I'm Sorry (B. James) b/w Delay (A. Colquhoun / A. Powell) Radar
ADA19, 1978 Rock Music / Copyright Control

So Al Powell was playing with Brian James in Tanz der Youth at around the
same time (early '78) that Lemmy was playing a gig with Brian James'
previous band, the Damned!

Also from the Terrascope interview -
Simon House: "When Turbo [with Simon King] broke up part of it went on to
become The Famous Scientists with Chris North on drums, Andy Calhoun on
guitar, Ian Anderson on bass and myself on violin and keyboards."

Obviously, it's not the famous Ian Anderson, but I suspect it IS the same
Andy Colquhoun who was in Tanz der Youth and essentially replaced Paul
Rudolph in Mick Farren's post-'78 Deviants and the late-80's ('Kill 'em and
Eat 'em') Pink Fairies reunion.

    -Doug
     ceres at sirius.com