OFF: Scylding (was Re: Cyberphobia)

Douglas Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Thu Feb 8 18:17:47 EST 2001

On Thu, 8 Feb 2001 15:31:14 -0500, Brian Halligan
<blackblade at BHALLIGAN.COM> wrote:
>> K Henderson muses:
>>>
>>> And then there's this collection of fools that put up their (otherwise)
>>> unreleased stuff.  I guess I'll have to figure out the whole mp3 thing
>>> now that I have a computer with sound.

Well worth it IMO ...

>Carl replies:
>> Oh, you don't want to mess with those recordings!  It's just a bunch
>> of suspect spacerock with sound quality rivaled only by dodgy Dave
>> Anderson recordings :)
>
>I've just been getting into mp3.com lately, and I've found that amid the
>muck, and a sneaking suspicion it was recorded with a single microphone on
>the other side of town, "Wolf At the Door" is just a thoroughly rocking
>tune ...

Yeah, very nice heavy, riffy rock.  GREAT drumming from mr. DASLUD <> (if
only it was more audible on "Ossian's Way", especially since there's the
cool drum break in the middle)!  What kind of wah pedal are you using
there, Carl?  The sound quality isn't even THAT bad (although it would
definitely benefit from a more proper "mixing", as the website even
says "We haven't ever managed to mix the tracks (!)").

>So Carl, any ideas for a follow-up mp3 extravaganza? C'mon, if Frank Black
>can record albums on 2-Track.... ;-)

Not to mention the likes of Pavement or Guided By Voices back when they
were a lot more interesting than they are now (damn, I feel old!). Given
the choice between "good music" and "good sound quality", I'll always pick
the former ...

    -Doug
     ceres at sirius.com