RE; Tim Blake. Waterfalls In Space

Fri Feb 9 17:00:12 EST 2001

Hang on a minute - Johnny at GAS has the master of this and I've got teo of
the darned things and put through a de-hisser, the quality would be
fantastic - why does Tim reckon it's going to be so expensive. Also I hgave
VP label a sample of four rather fine Blake live tapes from the '70's with a
view to putting them out but nothing came of that, so what is really going
on!!!
I once gave a stunning tape of a Guru Guru gig to a label to release and
they passed it on to the drummer who vetoed it on the grounds that the
drumming wasn't up to scratch - next thing I know someone goes and releases
(actually two different labels) live stuff on CD from the same era most of
which was way inferior to the stuff I presented.
On the other side of the coin you'll get musicians with little archive stuff
who'll release anything of any quality if they think someone will buy it (no
names - wouldn't be fair but I'm not referring to any one of a Hawk nature).
It's interesting in the case of Can who must have just tons and tons of
hours of live and unreleased stuff in the vaults that it takes them 20 years
or more to come out with a live set of stuff from the '70's on CD only to
find that if yuo read the small print,the recordings didn't come from the
group's archives anyway and most of it - surprise surprise - was on bootleg
CD's
Speaking of which anothe label,on behalf of the groups no doubt, puts out
archive live stuff that are literally taken from exisiting bootleg CD's and
not from the group's archves, if they have any.
In many cases it's down to who out of that group has the archives and who
wants to release it - often two different people and that's where it all
starts to fall apart.
Then you get the BBC sessions - or lack of rthem in some cases - the BBC
claimed ages ago not to have most of the '70s' sessions but 'an insider'
says that this is tosh and that they have most of it - altho' I do know that
they don't haveone of the first  Hawkwind ones , the first Caravan and
Wishbone Ash In Concert broadcasts and the first Soft Machine sessions. A
while back NMC were desperate to obtain a missing Budgie Peel session that
the BBC had 'lost' of which I have one track only but they wanted it all or
nothing.
Just a glimpse into the ever more bizarre world of seventies archive
issues!!!
Andy Garibaldi (getting way off the point - sorry people)