HW: Starfield

Chuck Rosenberg Chuckrecs at AOL.COM
Fri Feb 9 17:13:42 EST 2001

andygee at DIAL.PIPEX.COM writes:

> errr.....actually we (or rather me) were first in with this at CDS towers -
>  the good Captain presented a copy to me and I was just blown away - pure
>  early seventies Hawks to a tee but so much more than that - and we were
>  trying to get the fans to buy it a full 2-3 months before he started
playing
>  with the Hawks - anyway it's on my web site at:
>  http://www.andygee.dial.pipex.com/highlite.htm
>  and it's there somewhere
>  and you can buy it for £9.99 from CDS - all good stuff, eh!!!

andy, there are definitely signs of '70s Hawks here, but I think even more so
the '90s Hawks. That may not have as much to do w/the riffs themselves but
the tuning of the guitar to make it almost equal to Brock's '90s sound and
the synths are also very rem. of the sounds produced by the Hawks in the last
decade. Might also indicate that the HW sound itself hasn't changed as much
except the production techniques.
BUT!!!!!!!! After the first couple tunes (Starfield disc) things began to
sound much more removed from that more direct-HW influence...and much more
exciting...but then as the Capt. knows I'll have to wait a while for further
commentary. :) Not that that's a problem, but I do highly anticipate it...
Now, back to J. Jarrett's early point about Brit space-rock bands sounding
too much like HW, such as Krel, Spacehead, etc, I think Alan Davey is much as
much to blame as anyone, as far as Chaos Delight goes!

Chuck

Chuck