Off: Re: A Question on Bootlegs

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Fri Feb 9 20:50:15 EST 2001

On Fri, 9 Feb 2001, John Majka wrote:

=> I've been trading bootlegs for about 13 years or so, and every single person
=> I've ever traded with has basically had the same arrangement-- two blanks
=> for one recorded, or 1 for 1 if each person has something of mutual interest
=> to the other.  It only seems fair.  I would hate it if someone just sent me
=> say 10 blank tapes and expected me to record all 10 for them, without any
=> benefit to me.  I mean, it takes a lot of time (90 minutes times 10 tapes)
=> plus all the gas & time involved going to the post office, not to mention
=> the cost of postage.  There's no reason why I should take a LOSS just
=> because someone else has demanded my time.  Two blanks for one recorded is a
=> generous deal, I think.

This seems silly to me.  Nobody is forcing you to do anything for
anyone.  If you choose to B&P a show for someone, that is *your* choice,
arrived at after weighing all the options re: available time,
facilities, and so on.  It's not as if someone can send you dozens of
blanks and demand you record something on them.  (Can they?:)

If you don't have the time to B&P a show for someone, don't agree to do
it.  If you are worried it will wear out your equipment, don't agree to
do it.  Nobody is holding a gun to your head.

Why stop at 2-for-1?  Why not 5-for-1?  Why not a "small fee," to cover
"inconvenience?"  Why not have the extra blanks sent with a store
receipt with a thank you written on the back so you can return them for
cash if you want?  Most newbies are willing to pay for shows, bid
ridiculous amounts on eBay, or do 2-for-1 (or more) because they are
desperate to get the show and often have no other recourse.
Bootlegging is about supply and demand, not sharing the music.

I see a B&P as an act of musical charity, not as some kind of business
exchange.  The reward for me is spreading what I consider to be mighty
fine music, and maybe brightening someone's day in the process.  Like
any charity work, you fit it into your spare time as and when you can.
You do it because you want to, not because you have to.

I guess other people see it differently, which is okay by me.  I just
don't trade with those people these days.

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

        --- Frank Vincent Zappa