HW: The newest Hawk - seriously now...

Captain Bl@ck starfield at SUPANET.COM
Sat Feb 10 06:39:07 EST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: Kevin Sommers <novadrive at HOME.COM>
To: <BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU>
Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2001 2:47 PM
Subject: HW: The newest Hawk

> Hello Captain Bl at ck----
> Inquiring minds want to know:
>         -What is your musical background/history?

I've always been interested in electronics and synthesisers, in fact
anything electronic that makes a noise. I built my first synth about 20
years ago, then modified it somewhat. I still use it. Seeing Tim Blake in
1979 with 2 EMS machines turned me on to those - they are incredibly
flexible and capable of some unique sounds that you can't get any other way.
It seemed like a lot of bands I enjoyed at the time were using EMS stuff -
Hawkwind, Gong, Steve Hillage. Musically I'm self taught, but I don't really
consider myself a musician, though I know what sounds good and what doesn't.

>         -How did you come to join Hawkwind?

I knew Dave through doing various articles for Hawkfan and also through
servicing some of the bands gear. I offered my services as I felt I might
have something worthwhile to contibute in terms of that looseness that
analogue synths offer, in the style of the early albums. I think its great
the way they use sequencers, but sometimes its nice to have a kind of random
element to the electronics. I never play anything the same way twice, so its
always different for the listener, and I try to do unusual things like feed
Dave's guitar through the synths during Space is Deep, so you get an extra
layer of sound on top of what he's playing.

>         -What's next for Starfield?

We've got about half an albums worth of stuff in demo form which needs
working on, its really just finding the time to do it. It does help to get
feedback from people, even if its negative, as it gives you the
encouragement to get on and do more things. I have a huge collection of gear
here now as well, which we didn't have when we started, although that's not
always a good thing - its like, if you only have 1 synth, you get really
good at programming it and you really get the best out of it, but if you've
got 10, you tend to only skim the surface of what they are capable of.
There's so much else to think about as well, like the synth repair side of
things and various other projects I'm involved in. I also have an ambient
album in the can which I'd like to release at some point.

>         -What's next for Hawkwind?

Hopefully a live album of Astoria and some more gigs this year. Keep
checking Mission Control!

>         -Do the chicks dig a guy in a Big Hat?

Actually I've not had much feedback on that one yet.