OFF: A Question on Bootlegs vs trading - the bottom line

Bob Lennon Hawkwinder at AOL.COM
Sat Feb 10 09:59:37 EST 2001

The bottom line on this issue is the bottom line. (not the one in NYC)
If you're profiting in any way from your fellow Hawkwind fan, you can refer
to your tape/cdr/video as a bootleg.

If you're doing a one for one swap,  call it a tape or cdr.

because in reality "bootlegs" are sold.

calling tapes etc "bootlegs" (if any one has traded with me knows) is a big
no-no.

Let me clarify:
1st examples:
Hawkwind "Live St Albans" CD - bootleg
Hawkwind "The Golden Void" LP - bootleg
Hawkwind "Dawn of Hawkwind" cd - bootleg
Hawkwind "Orgasmatron" cd - bootleg
Hawkwind "Rock City" cd - bootleg
etc etc etc
I paid around $20-plus on most of these...they are "bootlegs"

2nd examples:
Hawkwind "We Are The Ones Who Are Left" - cdr
Hawkwind "Nova Drive" - cdr
Hawkwind "Live At The Astoria" - cdr
Hawkwind "Close Encounters of the First Strike Chicago" - cdr
Hawkwind "Choose The Side That You'll Be" - cdr
+ hundreds of other cdrs/tapes/vids....
paid absolutely nothing for, zippo, zero with a line of zeros after it. all
in trades. one for one. no one made a penny from these. I call these: tapes,
cdrs etc..

I've only encountered a few people over the years that insist on a 2 for 1
trade, those deals I've avoided. As a few people mentioned earlier, it's your
choice, if it's worth sending 2 out to get one back, then do it, I guess, if
it's worth $10 for a cdr, then do it, I guess.

when are we going into the pirating thread?

bob