OFF: A Question on Bootlegs vs trading - the bottom line

Kevin Sommers novadrive at HOME.COM
Sat Feb 10 11:14:15 EST 2001

Yes and no.  According to "Bootleg: The Secret History Of The Other
Recording Industry" by Clinton Heylin, what you described is a counterfeit
(think millions of fakes of Michael Jackson's "Thriller" made in China), and
a pirate is unauthorized release of official material, but not in it's
original form (those same Chinese taking a dozen tracks form albums across
The Gloved Perv's whole career and throwing them together, along with a
fuzzy press photo as a cover, in a CD called "The All Good Songs from
Michael Jackson").
No, I've never seen a Hawkwind counterfeit, but maybe some of the zany
completeists out there have stumbled across one?

-----Original Message-----
From: BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List [mailto:BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU]On
Behalf Of DASLUD at AOL.COM
Sent: Saturday, February 10, 2001 8:35 AM
To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU
Subject: Re: OFF: A Question on Bootlegs vs trading - the bottom line

In a message dated 2/10/01 10:01:21 AM, Hawkwinder at AOL.COM writes:

<< when are we going into the pirating thread? >>
========
gee, i dunno.

seen any _counterfeits_ of officially-released HW, _impersonating_ a legit
release?

what, if not that, would be a _pirate_?

not an audience tape ,or some chucklehead's attempt to turn his cassette
into
a cd-cdr.

pirates=fakes, counterfeits...

yes/no?