OFF: essential gong?

Nick Medford nick at HERMIT0.DEMON.CO.UK
Sat Feb 10 20:21:20 EST 2001

In message <Pine.GSO.4.21.0102101832210.18012-100000 at harper.uchicago
.edu>, Arin Komins <akomins at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU> writes
>Hey folks,
>
>Just heard my first Gong album (Angels Egg).  Neat stuff.
>I know I should get the other two Radio Invisible cds, but
>are there any others that are "musts"?

The earlier ('71) 'Camembert Electrique' is an absolute classic, rawer (almost
proto-punk in parts), and even trippier than the Radio Gnome albums.

The two studio albums from the reformed band are well worth hearing:
'Shapeshifter' shows the group flirtng with an impressive range of styles,
while 'Zero To Infinity' is like an up-to-date take on their classic 70s sound.

Daevid Allen's other projects are well worth investigating- most of it comes
highly recommended- but the one I have to mention right now is the Planet
Gong album "Floating Anarchy '77". PG were an amalgam of Daevid, Gilli
Smyth, and the Here And Now band, and this is quite simply one of the
greatest albums ever made- a blazing amalgam of tripped-out space rock and
punk aggression- as Daevid termed it, 'spunk rock'- featuring the astonishing
guitar skills of Stef 'Sharpstrings' Lewry, who out-Hillages even Hillage.
Strong and streamin' mate!

I could go on for ages but I'll leave it there.. for now..
--
Nick Medford